As a Church of England Primary School, the Religious Education provided is central to the life of our school. As such, RE is given the priority that it deserves as a core subject in the curriculum and aims to be an outstanding specialism of the school. It is intended that the RE provided is of the highest quality, aiming for excellence in teaching and learning. Our central aims of Religious Education (as detailed in the Southwark Diocesan policy statement Religious Education in our Church Of England Schools - June 2016) are to enable children to:
- Develop a strong foundation of the Christian faith through knowledge and understanding that includes Christian Beliefs and Values, The Bible, Old Testament Characters, the Life and Teachings of Jesus, Prayer and Worship, Saints, The Local Church, The Christian Community, Living out the Faith, Rites of Passage and Christian Festivals;
- Apply an understanding of Christianity to make reasoned and informed responses to life issues and moral choices;
- Develop some knowledge and understanding of the other main world faiths represented in the United Kingdom, applying an understanding of religion to develop respect, empathy and sensitivity towards all people;
- Enhance their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development;
- Develop the ability to reflect on their own beliefs, values and experiences and communicate issues of faith and truth;
- Develop skills of critical analysis and evaluation and the promotion of understanding of people from different faith backgrounds and none.
We follow the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education Agreed Syllabus as detailed below.
Who made the Wonderful World?
Why is Christmas special for Christians?
Who cares for this special world and why?
Why do Christians believe Jesus is special?
How did Jesus ‘rescue’ people?
What is it like to live as a Jew?
Why are they having a Jewish party? (Sukhot & Hannakah)
Who are the saints of our school?
Where is the light of Christmas?
What is it like to live as a Jew?
Why are they having a Jewish party? (Pesach & Purim)
What is the story of Noah really about?
Why is Easter the most important festival for Christians?
Why do Christians make and keep promises before God?
What responsibility has God given people about taking care of Creation?
Why did Jesus teach The Lord’s Prayer as the way to pray?
Why are saints important to Christianity?
Nativity Characters: Which character are you? Why are you important?
What do Sikhs believe?
What are God’s rules for living?
How do Easter symbols help us to understand the true meaning of Easter?
What does it mean to be a Sikh?
Why is it good to listen to and remember the stories Jesus told?
What is The Bible’s ‘Big Story’ and what does it reveal about having faith in God?
How do Christians believe following Jesus’s New Commandment and his two greatest Commandments make a difference?
How do music and art convey Christmas?
Who is Jesus? (I am Sayings)
What can we learn from wisdom?
Easter People. Who is the most significant person in the Easter Story?
What does it mean to be a Jew?
What does it mean to be a Hindu?
How did belief in God affect the actions of people in the Old Testament?
The contemporary Anglican Church
How do Advent and Epiphany show us what Christmas is really about?
What does it mean to be a Muslim?
Should every Christian go on a pilgrimage?
What happens in churches at Easter?
What do the miracles of Jesus teach?
What are the 5 Pillars of Islam and why are they important to Muslims?
What is Buddhism?
Why is Remembrance important?
Is Peace the most important message Of Christmas?
What does it mean to be a Buddhist?
What do the Monastic traditions within Christianity show us about living in community?
How does Holy Communion build a Christian community?
The Journey of Life and Death
How has the Christian message survived for over 2000 years?
What are the Beatitudes and what do they mean for Christians?
How would Christians advertise Christmas to show what Christmas means today?
What is the importance of symbols, beliefs and teaching in Hinduism?
Do fame and Christian faith go together?
How does the Christian festival of Easter offer hope?
Understanding Faith in Lewisham.